Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What I love About my House

 (Our dining room in March)

Janice from Canadian Cottage did a lovely post a few weeks ago about what she loves about her house.  If you are anything like me then you have tons of decorating magazines and love to look at beautiful blogs.  While this is fun and even useful for ideas, it can be a little discouraging when you look around at your own home and only see the short-comings.  Time and money can get in the way of creating the house we envision; however, there are still things that can make our heart sing, so I'm going to follow Janice's lead and list the things I love about our house.   

We live in a 13 year old suburban house, so it isn't too original or special in any way.   However, these are the things I love about this house:

I love our big backyard (big for our area anyway).  When we moved in 9 years ago there weren't any gardens in the backyard - I used to call it our prairie since it was a big field of grass.  We have planted all the gardens and shrubs you see along the fence and I love seeing them grow and change over the spring, summer, and fall.


I love the front porch so we have a place for the wicker chair and bench - they are out of the elements, but make the front entry look welcoming.


I love the small cozy feel of our living room.  It is 13 x 13 feet, which is the perfect shape and size (in my opinion, anyway) so it is easy to arrange the furniture and it feels intimate.


I love the built-in bookshelves that hubby and a friend built in the living room.  The perfect place to keep some of our favourite books.


I love the big windows along the back of the house that let in the morning light.  I can look through them from the kitchen and see beautiful sunrises in the winter (you can see one I posted here in February) and the garden in the summer.


I love the strange closet that is part way up the stairs that has allowed me to have an office, since there are no spare rooms in our house.


And finally I love that we have a fireplace in the family room.  It is a great focal point for the room, is fun to decorate, and means Santa can visit us at Christmas.


These are just some of the reasons I love our house.  I'm passing the torch on to all of you, fellow bloggers, and challenging you to do the same.  What do you love about your house?




Linked to:
Things in your Home that Make you Smile at Hello Owl
Inspired By at The Inspired Room

27 comments:

  1. I love your house too! Your living room is fantastic! What shines through, though, is how your house is loved! It looks LOVED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tiny office, how cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home looks like a wonderful place to live and to spend your time in Grace. I especially love the bookshelves and the chair on the porch and the lovely windows. I linked to Hello Owl too. I think you have a lot to smile about :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being happy with what you have is the only way. You are so fortunate to have such a lovely home. And I know that you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I love your house, it's warm and comfortable and beautiful just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lovely home Grace. I have hopes that I can turn out backyard into something like you have! I love your little dog all curled up on your chair. He seems pretty darn comfy there too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Grace! I love your built in bookshelves and the view from those windows of yours - your garden is beautiful, especially the blue edging flowers. I would love to have a fireplace like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace, this is a challenge I may have to take up. I've spent an awful lot of time lately moaning about the things I DIS-like about this house. Great post!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see why you love your house. It's beautiful. That backyard is amazing. What are the blue flowers you have growing along the edge? Those are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Grace, what a beautiful home you have! I just read Kerry's post about what she loves about her home over at A Tranquil Townhouse. I love this idea and will have to copy it (maybe next week?). What I like about it most is a glimpse into the homes of others . . . call me a stalker! Anyway - I love the chair on your front porch and the built in bookshelves that your husband built. Where'd you find that chair? It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore your office and your porch is most inviting! I wish my house had steps! But alas...they're not on every house here in FL...land of flat. I will be posting things I love about my house (many are very similar to yours actually). :-) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grace,
    Your house is lovely...thanks for sharing it. Your backyard is amazing and beautiful. I can see you have put a lot of time into making it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Grace

    Your home is just lovely. It's warm and by looking at the photos you get a real sense of comfort which really reflects you.
    I love the book cases and love all the windows. It's a very sunny house which is great in the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also want to add ...what a cool place for your office!! Sam would love this neat hideaway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed Janice's post, and now yours. You have a lovely home. I love being reminded about what I love about my home. It is so easy to get caught up in the things that aren't 'done' or 'finished'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post! I love your book shelves, they are exactly what I want when I have my own house.

    Love you header and blog, I'm a new follower! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to follow Janice's and your lead and do a post on this too. I love your house, it looks very comfy and welcoming. I especially love that little computer nook with the blue and while toile wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so inspired by you ! You've got me thinking of a 'what i love' post too ! Thank you for sharing your lovely home, it is filled with all your treasures, warmth and love - it's not just a 'house' - it is your HOME and that is what makes it so special !

    xoxo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  19. When you love your home so does everyone else, it looks great and I enjoyed looking through your fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello sweet Grace - I'm a new follower of your blog via The Inspired Room! Thank you for sharing these pretty photos of your home. My fave is the little corner in your living room. I'd love to sit on that comfy chair and read your books!

    Blessings,
    Marie
    http://emmacallsmemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it toooooo! A happy home! Love the windows and you are right about a cozy room 13 by 13.

    ReplyDelete
  22. love your darling office - closet! so sweet.

    xo,
    cristin

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE the rocking chair in the front porch. And I love the puppy on the chair!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your house is great! I'd like to participate in another What I Like About My House Round-up if you have one. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Grace! What a lovely home you have :) I really love that shot of your built ins and the cream chair. That is just gorgeous. Really! If it were 100% perfect it wouldn't look nearly as welcoming. As it is, I want to sit in that chair and chat or browse your wonderful collection of books.

    ~Jacci

    ReplyDelete