Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Way to go Girl

Kate has now officially finished high school!

She wrote many essays and exams,
 
 went to prom,

 went to WonderGrad (a one-night event for graduating seniors at Canada's Wonderland, an amusement and theme park),

and had a tea party with her friends to celebrate exams being done.



Kate's a little shy about being on the blog, but rest assured she does have a head.  That's her in the black dress channeling Audrey Hepburn, and her friend is in the yellow, dressed to go to prom. 

I have to tell you a story about her friend's dress.  She had been excited for months about going to the prom and even sewed her own dress.  When Kate and I went down to her friend's house, so I could get some photos of both of them, we were greeted with a flurry of activity - the zipper on her dress had broken and they had had to break the zipper-pull to get her out of the dress.  This was now about an hour and  a half before the limo was coming to take them to grad.  We brainstormed some options and finally decided to sew the zipper up as far as we could so that she was decent at the bottom part of the dress and then take some yellow material from the ragbag, cut it into ribbons, and sew two on either side of the zipper and tie the dress shut.  It worked beautifully and the ribbons hanging down covered the zipper opening so it actually looked fine.  The truly amazing part was that Kate's friend was calm and composed throughout the ordeal - I think I would have been alternating between flipping out and tears.  Kuddos to her, though - it was grace under fire!

Kate and three of her friends also got together after exams were finished for a tea party.  One of Kate's friend's, Gabriela Hansen, is an uber-talented photographer and took some photos of the tea party, which I was glad about since I was at work and didn't get to see it. 


 Gabriela is only 18 years old but has already sold some of her photos, has an amazing portfolio, and is going to the Ontario College of Art and Design next year to study photography. 


Gabby, not only graciously allowed me to share some of her photos here on my blog, but also wrote about me on her Facebook wall, and said: " She has possibly the best decorated house I've seen."   What a sweety, eh?


At the tea party they all dressed up, made cupcakes, brewed some tea, set a pretty table, and had fun. 


Aren't they adorable!

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful girls, congratulations to them. What an exciting time in their lives..The dresses are beautiful..Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very sweet!! The best is yet to come for them all!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, lovely, lovely! Channeling Audrey Hepburn, creative sewing for a zipper, I am with you on the freaking out part...and such lovely photos from what looks to be a talented photographer!! Great post Grace and yes they are adorable!!( now to see the whole picture :) )

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great time in life... so much promise ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these are the things I'll miss not having a girl. The tea party table is so lovely. Their dresses are beautiful and so classic, not like the monstrous southern bell dress we wore when I went to prom. Congratulations to Kate and her friends (and to her parents!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to all! And I completely agree about the poise required to stay calm in a zipper crisis. That's impressive. Do you think Gabriela would mind if I used one of her photos on this week's top ten...I really like that first one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great collection of tea cups. Love those headless pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They wore beautiful dresses! And the photographs are just great too. She has talent that one. Congrats to them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish *I* could channel Audrey Hepburn like that!

    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this...love this...love this. I am a new follower...from Nova Scotia. Always fun to read Canadian blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post Grace! I don't know even where to begin on commenting. First...I love your daughters dress and her friends. I love how her friend was so composed about her dress fiascal!
    Second...what fabulous photos !!
    Third...how wonderful to see teenage girls having an elegant tea party this day in age? I love that ..this is so me!!
    I love the last photo!
    You must be soooo proud!

    And i have to add i love your tea cups!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is beautiful even with her head missing...hmm that didn't come out right but hopefully you know what I'm trying to say!

    Congratulations to your lovely daughter and her friends! I know she has a bright future ahead of her!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to Kate! She looks lovely, even though we cannot see all of her! My daughter loves Audrey Hepburn as well. A tea party...how classy! Kate's friend is so very talented at photography...the pics are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a very sweet post and the images are all so interesting. Congrats and best wishes to the group.

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete