Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Reading Recommendation


I read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" about a year ago and I would highly recommend it as the perfect book for your summer vacation - you know one of those books that is easy to get through, with:
  • a little romance
  • a little humour
  • interesting characters
  • you can learn a little history
  • you can read about someplace you don't live and now will desperately want to visit
  • will have you drinking copious cups of tea, just because
The book is written as a series of letters, which initially takes some getting used to and can feel a bit disjointed, but the story is interesting enough that you can get past the letter format.  It is set during the Second World War on Guernsey Island when a group of islanders form the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society as an alibi because the members were caught breaking curfew.   Life under German occupation was very difficult for the locals.  Can you imagine sending your children off in the last boat before the Germans arrive, not to see them again for 4 years. It brought tears to my eyes.  It really is a great book and will have you reading late into the night to find out what happens to these endearing, quirky, and at times, brave characters.

So pull up a deck chair, find yourself a cute hat and have a good summer read!

 

5 comments:

  1. We read this for Book Club- really enjoyed it!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes I really loved that book. We had it at our book club too and everyone agreed it was great...that doesn't happen very often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this book on the weekend, while I was waiting for rugby training to finish, and the title really had me intrigued. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check it out now - I'm always keen to find new books to read! K xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful read, Grace. I've just gone through a few great books, and was looking for another. I will have to visit Chapters this week and pick it up. Thanks, Grace :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished reading this book-I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete