Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Cookie Gift Packaging Using an Origami Cup

This morning I shared with you our family shortbread recipe that we make every year.  We love this recipe so much that it just doesn't feel like Christmas without these cookies.  


I thought it would be fun to have a way to give special cookies as gifts to family and friends so I came up with these origami cups that can be hung on the tree ready to be handed out.




They aren't hard to make at all and I've included a step-by-step set of instructions to make them below.



Directions:
Cut out two squares - one from waxed paper and one from brown wrapping paper.  I used 12 inch squares, but you can vary this depending on the size you want the final cup to be.  I used a dab of glue at the corners to keep the two squares together while I was working with them.  


Step #1:  fold the square in half (as shown below):



Step #2:  Fold the right corner up to meet the upper left edge about half way along (the top of our folded piece should be parallel with the bottom of the triangle, as shown below):



Step #3: Repeat and fold the left corner up to meet the upper right edge (as shown below):



Step #4:  Fold the flaps to the front and back (as shown below):



Step #5:  Punch holes near the ends to put some string or wool or ribbon through so you can hang it (see below):




I found these stickers at Michael's that say "Baked Especially for you..." so I put one on the flap to hold it down and make the front look pretty.  I have seen a lots of free on-line labels and tags that you can print yourself so you could use those as well. 



There you go - all set to be given away to someone.  (And if you think we have our tree set-up so I could take these pictures then you'd be wrong.  I was the crazy lady out in our front yard taking photos of a cookie hanging on our tree).

Don't forget to pop on over to Angie's blog at Echoes of Laughter and see what she has been cooking up.   And please stop by tomorrow for another batch of cookies here on Day 3 of Christmas Cookie Week.



Linked to Tuesday's Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Homemade Projects at Tip Junkie
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Tutorials and Tips at Home Stories at A 2 Z,
Handmade Holiday at Just a Girl

7 comments:

  1. these are adorable, I would love to try doing this,, the shortbread looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty clever and it does look easy. How cute hanging on the tree Christmas eve when friends stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very simple, eye-catching and a cookie surprise inside.... Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally love this idea! (And especially that you were out in your yard taking those photos!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, easy idea! Thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower. Warm wishes, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I love it.
    And thank you for commenting on my blog about the Shiny Brites... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is simply adorable. I love your blog. I'm your newest follower.
    Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.

    ReplyDelete