Monday, September 26, 2011

5 Ways to Style Your Sideboard

I recently decorated my sideboard for fall (you can read about what inspired me here), but then I second guessed myself and wondered if I had done it all wrong.  Were things supposed to be piled in the middle like I had done or should they be arranged in groupings at either end. Well given my confusion I'm sure you know what I did next.  Yep, I headed straight for the computer and Googled some images.  Since the main event in dining rooms is the table, it actually wasn't easy to find pictures of sideboards/buffets/console tables/credenzas (it likely doesn't help that there isn't one clear name for them).  I did find some pictures though and I thought I'd share my research findings.  


As it turns out there are a variety of ways that sideboards can be styled.  I've divided the types of arrangements into five main groups.


1) Sideboards with objects placed at both ends - asymmetrical arrangements:
When the arrangements are asymmetric the displays usually seem more modern and less formal than when the arrangement is symmetrical.  In the next four photos you can see examples of this type of arrangement done in an paired-down, simple way using a limited number of larger objects.


Sarah Richardson




Style at Home


Sarah Richardson via Style at Home


Sometimes the arrangements are done in a more-is-better way.  Interest is created by using a large number of objects in a variety of sizes and heights.  You can still see that the highest objects are placed at either end with all the lower objects around them filling in toward the centre of the sideboard.

Martha Stewart





2) Sideboards with objects placed at both ends - symmetrical arrangements:
Symmetrical arrangements are similar to the first type, but here the highest objects anchoring either end are a pair of lamps, jars, candles, or vases of flowers.  Other objects, sometimes matching and sometimes not, fill in the middle.  This usually results in a more traditional formal look.  

Canadian House and Home

Mrs. Howard Personal Shopper
Mrs. Howard Personal Shopper

Canadian House and Home

3)  Sideboards with repetition of a single object:
This type of arrangement involves a single item being repeated across the sideboard.  If the items are small-scale then multiples of the item are usually used across the entire sideboard (like in the first photo below) and if the item is large then only two may be required to stand alone (like in the third photo below).  While I love this style I would find it difficult to be so disciplined.


Sarah Richardson

CB2 via Canadian House and Home
Mrs. Howard Personal Shopper


4)  Sideboards with the highest objects placed toward the centre:
These asymmetric types of arrangements have the highest objects near the centre of the sideboard and then other objects placed around them forming a visual triangle.  The triangle can be taller or flatter depending on the height of the centre objects.  Again a large variety of sizes and heights of objects are used, with items layered in front and behind each other to create interest.


Pottery Barn

Martha Stewart


5)  Sideboards with the highest objects placed toward one end:
In some displays the highest object is placed off-centre at one end making an asymmetric arrangement (interestingly in my examples, the right-hand end seems to be most popular) .  


Pottery Barn
Suzanne Kasler via Home and Interior Design Picture

After considering all the layouts I went back to my sideboard and rejigged things.  I'm still going with all-the-stuff-in-the-middle type arrangement (#4 in my list above), but I've added a few things, spread the items out a bit more, and it is little more balanced.  




Just to refresh your memory - even though I know you never forget anything I have done around the house - here is what it looked like before.



It occurred to me that it would be a good exercise to try out each of the styles I identified.  I think I might just give that a try over the next year.  I love me a decorating challenge - almost as much as a photography challenge.   Anyone want to join me?

Linked to Good Life Wednesday at A Beach Cottage
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

9 comments:

  1. Love your sideboard arrangement and all the examples you posted! This would make a great link party to post examples of each style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I think it is a great idea! Why not host a linky party for each idea? I would so try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea. I think that stretching it out really worked to make your arrangement look more substantial/intentional and in line with the plates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good MORNING GRACE:

    I AM NEW TO YOUR BLOG AND FOUND YOU THROUGH MY FRENCH COUNTRY HOME. IT WAS THE SIDE BOARD POST THAT ATTRACTED ME! I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON MINE FOR OVER A WEEK. . . VERY SPECIAL COMPANY DUE IN ABOUT 10 DAYS!

    I LOVE YOUR BLOG AND HAVE BECOME A FOLLOWER AS OF TODAY! SO NICE TO MEET YOU. I WENT INTO SOME OF YOUR ARCHIVES AND ENJOYED THOSE TOO.

    I LOOK FORWARD TO MORE INSPIRATION.

    MARY ANNE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you research everything Grace :) I love the simplicity of No.2

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a very interesting post with lots of great decorating inspiration.
    thanks!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the inspiration here Grace. I do not have a sideboard. Well I do but there is no place to have it out, so it is in my sons closet. In fact it was the very first piece of furniture my husband and I bought. I wish I could dig it out, paint it and decorate it like these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, more is better! These are great inspiration pics...will definitely be pinning a few of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your selections of decorating ideas! Especially the AMrtha Stewart table top! Great inspiration--thank you so much for sharing--Tammy

    ReplyDelete