Monday, November 21, 2011

Christmas Cookie Week: Double Ginger Chocolate Cookies

Well my friends, it is time for Christmas Cookie Week around these parts.  




I got the recipe for these cookies - Double Ginger Chocolate Cookies - from a colleague who brought them in to work to share with everyone (don't you love colleagues like that).  I couldn't believe how gingery they tasted -  they are actually so gingery they take you by surprise.  It's kind of a nice change from the usual cookies.  


I modified the recipe to accommodate my tastes and I added chocolate chips - because everything tastes better with chocolate.  I really think they should be called Double Delicious Double Ginger Chocolate Cookies.



Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup margarine, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3-4 tablespoons white sugar (I used coloured sugar since I wanted the cookies to look festive)




Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the orange juice, grated ginger, and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture and add the chocolate chips.
  4. Cover and chill dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
  5. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the coloured 3-4 tablespoons of sugar.
  6. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
  7. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven.  Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.


Is your mouth watering yet?




Thanks for joining me for Day 1 of Christmas Cookie Week.  Later this afternoon I'll be posting suggestions  for how to package the cookies so you can give them as a gift.  Also you should check out Angie's blog at Echoes of Laughter to see what yummy cookies she has made.  Don't forget to come back tomorrow for my next cookie recipe.


Linked to Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff,
Tasty Tuesday at Nap Time Creations,
Recipe Link Party at Remodelaholic,
Cookiepalooza Party at Centsational Girl

5 comments:

  1. These do look yummy and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, these look good and adding chocolate is perfect! Yes, everything does taste better with chocolate. I'm looking forward to this week (although I may not get to comment each time because our Thanksgiving holiday is this week). We often have holiday cookie exchange parties around here and I like to take different cookies to each one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you add the bag of chips last? They sound divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this look so great. I wish I had read your post on packaging cookies before I participated in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap two weeks ago. The most stressful part was shipping the cookies not baking them. Anyway, I will be making these. Check out my Peppermint Bark: http://www.myjudythfoodie.com/2011/12/holiday-peppermint-bark/

    ReplyDelete