Friday, November 25, 2011

Christmas Cookie Week: White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Cookie Mix

Can you believe it - this is the final post in the Christmas Cookie Week series - phew - that was a lot of baking and wrapping, but I'm happy it is done and ready for Christmas.  I hope you have been inspired as well.


Today I made a cookie mix to give as a gift.  I chose this recipe from Organized Home because it uses white chocolate.  This is going to sound strange, but I don't like white chocolate, except in cookies with macadamia nuts.   We have a bit of a chocolate addiction around our house and often end up with white chocolate in packages with regular chocolate.  I've been saving those chocolate pieces and I've used them in this cookie mix.  




Here's the White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Cookie Mix recipe:


Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1 cup chopped white chocolate


Method:
1.  Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder together.
2.  Layer ingredients in a quart-size (4 cup) canning jar - flour mixture, brown sugar, white sugar, nuts, white chocolate
3.  Print and attache a gift tag - White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie Mix gift tags




I didn't have a proper mason canning jar, so I used the next best thing - a pasta jar.  Since our pasta jar was full of pasta sauce, can you guess what we had for dinner?  Yep and when the jar was all clean and dry I used the blow dryer to make sure the inside was as dry as the Sahara Desert. 




Now it took some pushing and wheedling to get all the ingredients into the jar.  You can see that I just made it with not much room to spare.



I could have stopped here and just added a ribbon or a circle of fabric on the top, but I decided to do something a little different.



Given that the cookie mix was all white and that I have a bag full of unused/unloved socks in the basement (see this post for details about the poor neglected socks), I decided to turn the jar into a snowman head.




I tied a knot in the end of a sock and then pulled it down over the jar.  I secured an elastic around the sock where the lid fastened onto the jar and then rolled the sock up over the elastic to make the cuff.  Then I cut out shapes from sticky-back felt (but black vinyl or paint would also work) to make the eyes and mouth.  And I used a piece of orange foam to make the nose. To add a bit of decoration I  made a loose pompom out of green yarn and tied it to the end of his hat.




He actually looks more like the Bonhomme from the Quebec Winter Carnival.  Here's a picture of him and you can see that he has the same kind of floppy toque that my snowman jar has - he's in good company!



Don't forget to hop on over to Angie's blog at Echoes of Laughter to see the cookie mix she has made today. 
Thanks for joining us this week - it's been a blast.



Linked to Inspiration Friday as The Picket Fence,
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest,
Flaunt it Friday at Chic on a Shoestring Decorating,
Handmade Holiday at Just a Girl,
Recipe Link Party at Remodelaholic,
Cookiepalooza Party at Centsational Girl

7 comments:

  1. For sure I am going to try these....love the idea of using a jar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your snowman is so cute! What a great idea to use an 'odd'sock! Have a wonderful weekend! Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the cutest. I might give this recipe a try this weekend, too. I'll have to go and grab some nuts though - but I think it will be worth it!

    I am following you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its an awesome idea that we can use anything for decoration. I will surely try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I have a cookie exchange party coming up..this would not work..we have to bake 6 dozen each, although...I bet 6 of these would hmmmm...cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! We'd love you to submit this to the Make and Takes spotlight page--http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete