I was in the mood for baking, our youngest son was home from Winnipeg, and my parents were coming for dinner so I made some walnut-blueberry cake. This recipe is an invention of mine that evolved from a recipe I made last Christmas. I love the new version and walnuts and blueberries are so healthy that I figure this must be too.
1 cup finely chopped walnut crumbs
1/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp alt
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup blueberries
1. Combine walnut pieces and orange juice and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
2. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
3. Beat margarine and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs, beating until blended.
5. Gradually add flour mixture, mixing well.
6. Stir in walnut-orange juice mixture, applesauce, and blueberries.
7. Spread into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake for 20-22 minutes at 350F or until centre is cooked.
8. Allow to cool on a wire rack before cutting to serve.
I've already made this recipe three times. Are you a walnut lover, like I am? If so then you will love this cake.
Grace @ Sense and Simplicity
Hi, I'm Grace from Toronto, Canada. Welcome to Sense and Simplicity. This is my little corner of blogland where I like to talk about family, decorating, photography, food, and travel - all done with sense and simplicity.
Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org