Monday, November 5, 2012

Walnut - Blueberry Cake

I was in the mood for baking, our youngest son was home from Winnipeg, and my parents were coming for dinner so I made some walnut-blueberry cake.  This recipe is an invention of mine that evolved from a recipe I made last Christmas.  I love the new version and walnuts and blueberries are so healthy that I figure this must be too.


Ingredients:
1 cup finely chopped walnut crumbs
1/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp alt
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup blueberries

Method:
1. Combine walnut pieces and orange juice and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
2. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
3. Beat margarine and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs, beating until blended.
5. Gradually add flour mixture, mixing well.
6. Stir in walnut-orange juice mixture, applesauce, and blueberries.
7. Spread into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake for 20-22 minutes at 350F or until centre is cooked.
8. Allow to cool on a wire rack before cutting to serve.



I've already made this recipe three times. Are you a walnut lover, like I am?  If so then you will love this cake.  

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. This sounds very good. I like walnuts a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Love that you added walnuts in there. Thanks for sharing the recipe Grace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combo of blueberries and walnuts is clearly a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy! I love anything with blueberries in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks scrumptious. I'm a walnut lover too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always make the most mouthwatering recipes...and I love walnuts and blueberries too!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete