Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Prince William's Chocolate Biscuit Cake

Who wouldn't want the recipe for a scrumptious chocolatey dessert, and this one is not just any chocolatey dessert, but Chocolate Biscuit Cake that will be served at William and Kate's wedding on Friday.   


My father found the recipe for Prince William's favourite cake in the Toronto Star newspaper and offered to make it for our Easter dinner.  So with a new springform pan and some assistance from my Mother in melting chocolate, he made this delicious Chocolate Biscuit Cake.




According to the article, the Queen would request that the chef make Chocolate Biscuit Cake when William was visiting from Eton.  Since Prince William is having it as his groom's cake for the royal wedding on Friday I'm posting the recipe ahead of time so you will have a few days to find the ingredients to make your own cake to enjoy while watching the wedding.




The main ingredient in the recipe is McVitie's Rich Tea Biscuits so this cake is more like a thick chocolate cookie than a true cake.  The McVitie's Cake Co. has been asked to make the cake for the royal wedding.  My Dad said that they were not able to find these exact biscuits so he substituted Christie's Social Tea Biscuits, but really any plain tea biscuit would work as long as you keep the quantity the same.




Ingredients:
4 tbsp (60 ml) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
4 oz (11o g) dark chocolate, chopped
1 large egg, beaten
8 oz (225 g) McVitie's Rich Tea Biscuits, about 28 biscuits broken into almond-sized pieces
8 oz (225 g) dark chocolate, chopped - for the icing


Method:
1. Line bottom of 7-inch (18 cm) springform pan with parchment paper and butter sides of the pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy using electric mixer on medium setting.
3. In double boiler melt 4 oz chocolate.
4.  Stir in butter mixture.
5.  Stir in egg.
6.  Remove from heat and add biscuits, stirring until well mixed.
7.  Spoon mixture into springform pan filling all gaps and refrigerate for three hours until set.
8.  Remove pan and turn cake upside-down on cooling rack set over a parchment lined baking sheet.
9.  Melt 8 oz chocolate in double boiler.
10. Pour the melted chocolate over the cake, smoothing it on the top and sides.
11.  Let stand for one hour until set.
12.  Carefully remove cake from the cooling racks and place on serving plate.
Serves 8



The cake needed to be cut on a cutting board with a serrated knife and even still was difficult to cut without little pieces breaking off, however, it more than made up for itself with how delicious it was.



Now grab yourself a cuppa (cup of tea that is) and make some Chocolate Biscuit Cake to enjoy along with William and Kate.





Linked to Royal Wedding Party Ideas at Decor to Adore
Good Life Wednesday at A Beach Cottage
Saturday Night Spotlight at Love Where You Live

23 comments:

  1. Grace, that looks so good. I can't believe your dad made it. I wish my husband would help in the kitchen. I may have to try that one. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll like my blog today. It is photos from my trip to the Queen's Mews. The cake looks yummy. No wonder it is his favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, you are awesome for posting this! I want to make it! Publix here in Birmingham has a British aisle, and they sell McVitie's tea biscuits. I think it is too cute that William chose this as his groom's cake. :D Thanks for sharing! Do you mind if I mention this in a post with a link back to this post?

    ~Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not been following anything at all with the wedding. It will be fun to see what bloggers will be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited for the royal wedding! I watched Princess Diana's wedding and sadly, her funeral too. I'll be watching on Friday and I'm even going to make tea the proper way. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us. I'll make it for dessert on Friday and think of Prince William when we enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this looks really good! I have been planning on dieting but perhaps I can wait awhile...at least until after I try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wondered if we could get the tea biscuits here in the U.S. but I see Ricki Jill says they are at Publix! Tell your Dad he rocks! ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummm! who can pass up chocolate cake? I think I will try this and use walkers shortbread biscuits instead. I will let you know how fast it disappears!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny! this cake is made at home in every lebanese household and even sold at coffee shops! Love it, I actually have the digestive biscuits that would go great with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So delicious! I don't make dessert unless I'm forced into it but I DO eat it!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a lovely comment on my wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum!!!! Who would guess that was in a cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I'm so excited to have this recipe! I had heard that it was top secret, but I'm glad that the chef from Diana's past allowed the rest of the world to have it! I think it's so sweet that they will have this at the wedding, and I love that it was special because Prince William's grandmother would have it there for him at their times together. Thank you for sharing!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, yum, and yum! I would take a slice of this over the bridal fruit cake anyday.

    Thank you so very much for linking up! The happy day is merely hours away now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love finding royal recipes - thank you! I'm making William's childhood favorite, Cottage Pie, Friday. Enjoy the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my gosh that looks good. I may have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Grace,

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your comment. :) I am so happy to have found your blog! This cake looks AMAZING, the choco lover in me is going crazy because I cannot have this! It is beautiful and I'm sure tasty!! Thanks for sharing and Happy Friday to you!!


    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grace...This looks easy and delicious. We don't have a Publix up here but I'm sure I can find a good tea biscuit. Tell your dad he's a "Prince" for finding this recipe.
    xo, Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by and leaving your lovely comment.

    Delish recipe, will go so well with a cup of tea while watching the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so devilishly delish! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Glad you added your link to Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Catching up on blog reading and oh my goodness does this look good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This "royal" chocolate cake looks delicious! I watched just a bit of the wedding coverage and more than anything, I thought the bride and groom simply looked so happy. Thanks so much for linking to my Saturday Night Spotlight party! I find it's a great way to meet new blog friends like you. Come back anytime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! That is amazing. I'm literally trying this right now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness, Prince William has good taste. Pinning this and I love your blog. Thanks for finding me so I could find you.

    ReplyDelete