Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Best of April

We are well into the first week of April and I still haven't come up with my list of things I'm looking forward to this month.  And it's not because there aren't a lot of good things coming up either.  April is definitely a lot easier to love than March so without further ado, here is my list of things I'm looking forward to in April:


1.  Enjoying the daffodils, tulips, and forget-me-nots blooming in the garden.  They will bloom soon.  They will bloom soon.  They will bloom soon... I just need to keep saying it to myself and it will happen, right?




2. Welcoming the green grass.  Along the same lines as #1.  I love the day that comes along every spring, when you look out the window and realize the grass is green.


3. Attending our oldest son Malcolm's convocation.  Malcolm has just finished his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Waterloo and we're very proud of him and all his hard work.  His convocation is this weekend so we are all heading to Waterloo for the event and then out to dinner to celebrate.


The chapel at the University of Waterloo with gorgeous stained glass windows, rock wall, and a modern interpretation of a raised panel ceiling.




4. Easter.  It's a lovely, simple, heartfelt celebration, and a welcome holiday in the long months from Christmas to the summer... and a time to get some chocolate.  Need I say more!




5.  Celebrate Kate's 19th birthday.  I can't believe she is already 19 years old, how did that happen without me noticing.  We're going to miss her something awful when she goes off to University next fall.


Photo taken by Kate


6.  Practice making the bouquet for my son's wedding in May.  If you recall (in this post) I'm going to do the flowers for my son's upcoming wedding.  Christie, my son's fiance, has requested that I use a bright bunch of flowers for the bouquets, wrapped with a ribbon - white for the bride and red for her attendant.  I believe the photo below is the winning inspiration photo (correct me if I'm wrong Christie), so I'm going to practice wrapping the ribbon so it looks as pretty as in the picture below.


Style Me Pretty


7.  Practice making the boutonnieres.  Malcolm has requested that his boutonniere be made with a red carnation or is it red carnations.  I have yet to determine how many need to be used in a boutonniere, which is why I'm going to make a few practice ones and see how they go.






8 Practice making the corsages.  Ditto.


9.  Do a mock-up of the table centrepiece for the wedding.  Christie asked me to plan the table decorations (thanks Christie - that was right up my alley), which I have done... in theory, but now I need to try it out and make sure the real thing (well semi-real since it will be done on my dining room table) looks as good as the image in my head.  


10.  Doing the taxes.  Haha - I crack myself up! Doing the taxes is right up there with getting a root canal, but I am looking forward to the taxes being done.


What about you - what are you looking forward to in April?

10 comments:

  1. That's quite a list! I also look forward to spring blooming bulbs and green grass but you have a Wedding to get ready for and your skills and assistance are required to help make the day run smoothly. Good luck with your flower arranging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to be so busy with flowers but I'm sure they'll turn out beautifully. Congratulations to your son on his graduation. How proud you must be (and yes, that is an unusual but gorgeous ceiling. wow!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes taxes, the fact that there are feet of snow still on the ground here, and just all the other mundane chores and nonsense that happens in daily life shadows the fact that YES it is Easter at the end of the month. Thank you for that reminder. What a happy and cheerful holiday-I'm going to embrace that from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS---Congrats on the convection this weekend.

    The flowers will look awesome, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW you have some exciting things happening too! April is a good month for me always:) I love Spring, it is the month I was born too. I just love Spring all the way around. I look forward to seeing your flower arrangements and pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. April in the Middle East? ...dust, dust and more dust I'm afraid, so a lot of dusting for me. Otherwise looking forward with my son to the end of his school career in June. No more 5:45am rises for me!
    Love all your great 'to-do's' Grace....enjoy - sounds very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your April list is so nice, except for the taxes part, but I know you will be glad when that is done and gone. We just got ours back from our accountant in Atlanta on Wednesday and sent them back in. I think here in the states we get an extra few days this year, until April 18th instead of the 15th, and I can't remember why....

    The inspiration bouquet is so pretty. I can't wait to see the real thing! Enjoy your kids and their special events this month.

    (((hugs))),
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Grace...we have one more week of school and then our Spring Break. I don't think I have ever looked forward to it like I do this year. We have been extending our school days to make up for all the snow days we took. Makes for long days...the kids are coping better than the staff! Happy Weekend, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lot of flowers in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter's first birthday is in April! :) We're celebrating it on Easter. It's going to be a great weekend; please don't let it snow!
    Thanks for coming by my blog!

    ReplyDelete