Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pickled Beets


Anyone else find it difficult to think of good gift ideas for the men in their lives?   Well I certainly do, so last year I got the idea to make pickled beets for hubby.  I know my father likes them too, so I suggested to my mom that we make some together for Christmas.  I should also add that I didn't have a clue how to can so the whole project would go much better with my Mom's help.  Last year we made them at the cottage over Thanksgiving weekend, but this year life got too busy around that time so we finally had a chance a few weekends ago to make the pickled beets.


The recipe couldn't be simpler so I thought I'd share it in case you wanted to try some yourself.  Sometimes simpler is better as these pickled beets are so yummy. 


Ingredients:
fresh whole beets
1 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar

Method:
1. Boil the beets (with skins on) until they are fork-tender (about an hour).
2. While the beets are boiling, wash and then boil the jars and the lids.  You need to use tongs to remove the jars and the lids from the boiling water as you can't touch them once they have been sterilized.
3. Combine the sugar and vinegar and bring to a boil.  You may need more depending on how many beets you are using.  It isn't exactlydifficult to make up more, though, if you run short.
4. Remove the skins from the beets either by rubbing them under water or with a knife.
5. Slice the beets and put them in the sterlizied jars.
6. Pour the boiling sugar-vinegar mix over the beets and use a sterilized knife to help the bubbles escape.  With a clean cloth wipe the lip of the jar so that the lid can seal.
7. Carefully lay the lid on the jar and screw the ring down.  As it cools the lid will pop down and seal the pickled beets.  If it doesn't seal, then you get to enjoy some pickled beets yourself right away (just keep then in the fridge).

Not only are they yummy, but I simply love their deep rich colour!





Linked to Recipe Link Party at Remodelaholic

7 comments:

  1. Grace, I love pickled beets, thank you for the recipe...this looks so yummy!
    Love the photos!!! Do you make dill pickles too, if you do I need some advice!!!!
    Oh I can just taste these, now I need to go buy some beets!
    Hugs,
    Margaret B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanted to learn to can things forever. This sounds like a perfect starter recipe for me and something I wouldn't mind snacking on either. Ok, that's it. I'm picking up first set of canning jars this week. I've made up my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the earthy taste of beets Grace and the colour is heaven.
    Beets and rhubarb...yum, yum!
    Thanks for the recipe...I will add this to my pickled red onions!
    Ps.. your Mom is a trooper, love her!

    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe Grace I just love beets! I love them on a salad with goat cheese yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I borrow your Mum Grace...her with the no-rubber-glove-hands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now look what you've done.........I am going to HAVE to go right now this minute and get stuck into the beetroot (what we call them over here) that's sitting in the fridge. It's calling to me....hear it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pickled beets!! I am the only one in the house who likes them! I have made pickled beets for the last 3 years and I eat them all winter!Yummy! When I was a teenager and younger, I didn't care for pickled beets at all, but one day I tried them and loved them.

    ReplyDelete