Saturday, November 13, 2010

Homemade Advent Calendar

It is almost December and that means one thing - it's time to get the advent calendars ready for the kids.  Even though our kids are in their teens and 20s, I think an advent calendar is still a fun way to start the Christmas season.  It is also a nice treat for students busy with essays and exams and kids living far from home at this time of year.  A little TLC is just the thing.


I just went to Waterloo to deliver the advent gifts to Malcolm and Christie, who are both off at university, I will be mailing Kate's to her out in Winnipeg tomorrow, and am ready here at home with William's come December 1st.

Here's what I did -

I bought a variety of treats, including some Hallowe'en candy on sale (don't worry offspring, it's not stale).


I wrapped some of the bigger items in Christmas paper and for the smaller items I used envelopes that I cut in half.


Then I put the item inside the half envelope, folded over the cut side, and punched two holes in it.


I then threaded a ribbon through the holes and tied it at the front.


Then I printed numbers off of the computer and cut them into squares, gluing them on to each package. 


I put them in a box that I wrapped in Christmas paper to make it look all purty, and tied it with jute string to keep it closed.


I have to say I'm in love with jute string - I mean how stinking cute is it with the red wrapping paper.  I see a lot of jute string in my future.


I also want you to rest assured that all the candies were subject to thorough quality control procedures.  You can never be too careful!


Anyone else do advent calendars for their kiddos?

Linked to Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming

9 comments:

  1. What a 'sweet' thing to do for your kids, especially those away from home. I'm sure they will always remember your thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed when I saw the last picture! Very funny Grace! What a great little surprise for your kids. How nice to get a package like that in the mail! I have done advent calendars off and on for the kids over the years. I am thinking about doing one for this year...still thinking stage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Grace, what a great thing to do for this time of the year. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet your kids are tickled to get these...no matter how old they are. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your idea and I'm sure the kids look forward to these each year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! My mom would buy us an advent calender every December and I love eating my chocolate every day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww I LOVE THIS! This is such a great idea....MY 3 YEAR OLD WILL LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a wonderful idea! I'e been racking my brain (and the internet) for the past two hours thinking of something both fun and rememberable for ideas on an Advent Calendar. My kids are six and two and I want each of them to have their own, and with your idea this is a great way to personalize both! I am so excited to start mine today, and look forward to continueing this tradition throughout many years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! I took it and made it my own by letting my small kids’ color the envelopes then I cut, stuffed and tied them with out the kids around. The kids then helped me put Christmas stickers and numbers on them, we then attached them to poster board with tape.

    ReplyDelete