Saturday, June 15, 2013

Ways to be Happier at Home

Last weekend when I was reading the January 2013 issue of Style at Home, the article "6 Ways to be Happier at Home" caught my eye.  It's a short little piece - listed under "Workbook" - that is packed with sage advice. 

The article lists six ideas from the book "Happier at Home" (written by the author of "The Happiness Project".)  I haven't read either of those book, but I love these six ideas.  They are definitely worth pondering!  

Let's have a look:


1.  Give warm greetings and farewells.  

Do you always give a kiss when you are stepping out the door?  I do sometimes, but not always.  It is a lovely habit to foster.  It may be partially cultural, as our French friends certainly do much more kissing at all times of the day than we do.  It's a good tip, though, and I'm going to try to remember to give my husband a kiss every time I leave the house this week.

Speaking of greetings - this is a quotation that always makes me laugh from one of my all-time favourite movies.  Anyone recognize the movie?
I think we could all take a few notes from how Grace Kelly greets Jimmy Stewart in the same movie.



2.  Remove clutter.
So true. So important. Note to self - remove clutter! Having a calm orderly house most definitely contributes to an inner calm and a happier home.


Margot Austin

3.  Complete a project you have been putting off.

Having too long a to-do list can weigh you down and make you feel guilty.  Conversely having no goals or projects can make you feel aimless and bored so the key is striking the right balance.  And I most definitely would get way more done if I had a studio like this.

Architectural Digest

4.  Celebrate family traditions.
One of the things I really enjoy about blogging is reading all the different traditions people have. They vary from family to family and country to country. The best part, though, is that you can pick and chose the ones that are right for you and your family. Traditions help bind a family together, allow us to honour important events in our lives, and give us something to look forward to.


Cut out and Keep

5.  Cultivate a shrine to your passions, interests, and values.

Not sure about a shrine, but how about a corner of the house that you can call your own. That corner may be anything from a cozy chair where you enjoy a good book or a desk in the corner of a room ... or even a magnificent window seat surrounded by bookshelves overlooking a forest.


Decoratrix

6.  Get enough sleep.  

So important, but something I rarely do.  I am so bad at getting to bed on time.  I love having a good sleep-in on the weekend or on vacation and need to make a point of getting to bed on time during the week.


Young Mariner
And if I could add one more it would be:

7.  Eat together.
Make time to create healthy meals, set a pleasing table, and eat together to grow deep bonds as a family.  Our society is getting busier and busier and fewer families are eating meals together.  If we take time to feed our bodies and our relationships, though, we will ultimately have happier homes. Do you eat together as a family?  It is something I feel strongly about and make as a high priority in our home.


Young Mariner

Young Mariner

What would you add to the list?  What do you feel is important to help you be happier at home?

9 comments:

  1. What a great list of things! That book reading nook is totally you I think! Being happy at home I think is very important and something that is undervalued in today's society! Great post Grace! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with finding a space for your passions and interests. I set up a table and shelves in a Jack 'n Jill bathroom(very large bathroom between 2 bedrooms) and use this for my beading and sewing projects. It was a space seldomly used and it works great for hobbies. And because my friends kid me about this, I want to clarify that the toilet and shower are in a separate room behind a closed door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too funny. I was going to tease you too, but actually having a sink and counter in a craft room would be ideal (and a toilet nearby).

      Delete
  3. I recently read a book entitled Happier at Home. I liked it! These are all great tips, and Rear Window is one of my very favorite movies. If I had to add anything to the list, it would be to have a schedule for meals and bedtime. We observe this better during the school year, but sometimes we let that slide during the summer. Then I get frustrated when folks ar wanting to eat at different times and I'm cleaning up the kitchen six and seven times daily.

    Great post!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would add that:
    Turn the tv off! When all are together at home for a meal turn the tv off. Try to have a conversation. I know a few families that have constantly the tv on, even when eating. Its the first sign that you dont want/have anything to say to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to add "tell your husband you love him everyday"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such good suggestions - I love them all. So lets see, we have:

    8. Schedule meal and bedtimes so we can be more disciplined and create less clean-up time.
    9. Turn off the TV and have some face-to-face time.
    10. Tell your husband (and kids) that you love him everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how to organize but I find that in my own home, I don't always have the correct tools to do it. I either don't have room or the right size containers or I have to get rid of something before I can organize what's left! Ugh. I would be happier if every thing had a place. Maybe that should be my goal for the rest of the year...food for thought for sure.

    ReplyDelete