Monday, June 24, 2013

Tall Ships Visit Toronto


Several tall ships are making their way to various ports on the Great Lakes to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812 (which actually lasted longer than just one year so the bicentennial continues this year). It was Toronto's turn over the weekend so I went downtown to have a look.

I love old sailing ships. 




I think all the varnished wood and ropes everywhere look amazing, 




I love the little touches that made each ship unique.



I love seeing their sails aloft when they are out for a sail,



And best of all I adore all the colourful little flags.  


  

Parks Canada had displays set up and costumed interpreters there as well. 






Have you ever seen the tall ships?  Wouldn't it be fun to go out for a sail in one.

8 comments:

  1. Just the thing for a hot day like yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look this up. How long are they in TO? My kids would ADORE this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved when the Tall Ships came into Halifax. I think they are breathtakingly beautiful and really feel like a real connection to history when you see them! I miss that...no Tall Ships in Edmonton. :(
    Have a wonderful last week of school! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love the opportunity to see these amazing ships. So much history! (Our travels haven't taken us to Toronto yet, but it's on our list. We did visit old Quebec city a couple summers ago and it was one of our favorite family vacations.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! I would love to sail on a tall ship. Lucky you to be able to see them close up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures. My Brother in law does training exercises on the tall ships so it's always a joy to see them (even if only online). This looks like a great way to spend the day outdoors & to kick off the summer.

    Now I want to go sailing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen this in person but would love to some day...the ships are just stunning. As are your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a marvelous sight indeed! You capture their beauty wonderfully :)

    ReplyDelete