Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Little Red Jug

On Sunday, I went back to the auction held at the house my husband grew up in - with the man himself this time.  He was intrigued to see what was being sold and, based on the photos I took the day before, thought he would be interested to see the house. What could have been a difficult day turned out to be such a great time for us re-living memories and having fun together.  
I wanted to share a few things with you.
I bought this red transferware jug and couldn't be happier (you can read about my love of transferware here).


Today I was reading my Canadian House and Home magazine (March 2013 issue) - and what do I spy on the top shelf of this gorgeous kitchen - the same transferware jug!  I love this kitchen.  The white cabinets, the subway tiles,  the pretty shelves styled with white dishes and little hits of red all spell perfection to me.

Canadian House and Home

Sooner than you can say "do it" I was changing things around on the shelves in our kitchen to match the inspiration photo.  I need the baskets for storage so had to work around them and, of course, I don't have all the same dishes so I had to be creative.  What do you think?  How did I do?  It's not identical, but I love the bright summery feel with the touches of red.
 

Before we leave the auction-related posts I wanted to share a few of my favourite details in the house.  

The house itself is a very interesting historic home. While some of the wallpaper is too dark for my taste, I love the wallpaper in a few of the bedrooms.
  






I also love the stained-glass windows on the landing of the staircase,


and the patterned frosted glass in the front door.


It is a funny feeling to say goodbye to a house.  I hope the next owners respect the house and restore it to its former splendour.


Before we left town we stopped by the school my husband attended and found the wonky star and his initials that he carved into the bricks when he was a schoolboy. 


And lest you think I married a graffiti artist - it was the thing to do at that school as the entire back wall is covered in names some of which dated back to the 1940s.


Goodbye younger husband and your shenanigans.
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Love the little transferware jug you purchased and it fits so nicely on your kitchen shelf...don't you just love when you find your lovelies in magazines...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that new jug!
    I can see it filled with flowers on a table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love how your shelf turned out with the new jug. It looks perfect next to the baskets. The story about your husband and that house (and the auction) is so neat, I bet not many people can say that they have been to an auction at their old house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a house! It looks like it could be from a period movie!! So much pretty wallpaper and classic pieces of furniture. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love that jug Grace! Beautiful! And I love what you did with your kitchen shelves...lovely! I would love to make some similar cupboards in my kitchen into display shelves, but the shelves themselves have a big wonk in the middle. So I am pondering what to do about that! That red jug will make a great tablescape Christmas too! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forget to say that hubby's childhood home is amazing...what a beautiful historic home. And that wallpaper! It would be great framed to hang as some art on its own. **Love**. Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love wallpaper. :D And red transferware is my favorite! I like how the magazine's open shelving looks like yours.

    ReplyDelete