Friday, December 9, 2011

The Toronto Christmas Market

We recently went to the Toronto Christmas Market at the Distillery District with our friends, Kim and Paul.  The Christmas Market is still on until December 18th so if you haven't been yet there is still time.  


I had never been to a Christmas market before and was looking forward to seeing what it had to offer.  It is modeled on the European ones and was everything I was hoping it to be.





There were twinkly lights


and more twinkly lights.




And pretty lanterns festooned with wreaths and bows.





There were little shops along the street 





that had Christmas goodies for sale, like these German glass ornaments,




and these glass birds - and an alligator (do you see him halfway down near the right side).  How did he get in there with all those birds - looks like trouble to me! 




I bought an ornament from the Netherlands.  After 35 years I have an ornament from the country I lived in as an exchange student.  I always regretted not getting one when I was living there and I've never been back since.  I'll show you the Delft-blue glazed ball I bought when we put our Christmas tree up.


There were these strange lights that looked like they were made out of bubble wrap, but they slowly turned different colours and were very beautiful so I forgave them for looking so odd.








There was a ginormous beautiful Christmas tree in the open square




right near the ferris wheel.




There were outdoor fires for sitting by to warm up.




There was beer to drink.  And for the first time in my life I tasted some beer I actually liked.  I think I need to go back to university as I would be a much better party girl now that I like beer, don't you think?




There were lattes inside a cafe to warm us up (forget the lattes, anyone else taken with those ceiling beams?).




Amazing the difference a few months can make - have a look at where Kim and I where four months ago (here).




Even the CN Tower was in a festive mood.




p.s. Some of the photos in this post were taken by my friend Paul as we took turns with my camera - and to be honest I've now forgotten who took which ones (although I do know this last one was his).

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these pictures! I just want to jump right in! The ferris wheel is quite something, and even though I usually don't get excited about balloons, the ones here are quite something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like so much fun! I always wish I was in Toronto for these events. I make it there about once a year but I never seem to coordinate it for anything out of the ordinary. It really is such an interesting city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grace!

    I love all the holiday lights ~ it looks like a winter wonderland...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun. We have something very similar to Chicago that I hope to make it to this year. I love those bubble-y lights; very cool! Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous - your photos are so great Grace! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I think we'll be making the Christmas Market a yearly tradition, it was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete