Sunday, March 13, 2011

I Did It!

I have a headache.  It took me all afternoon.  I'm exhausted.  But it's done.  I finally booked the airline tickets to Bangladesh and am so excited (and to be honest, nervous).  My friend Kim and I are now set to go. 

You might think we just get on a plane and go from Toronto to Bangladesh, but oh no - it is much more elaborate than that.  Since we have to stopover somewhere along the way to get to Bangladesh from Canada, hubby and I decided that I would make that stopover in France.   Then he would come along for the first part of the trip and we could spend a little over a week together in France in celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary (from this past February).  We will be staying with our French friends for most of the time and see the sites in and around Normandy.   

So here is how the summer is looking:


First I go to France for a little over a week.


Wikipedia

Then I'll be flying to Bangladesh via Abu Dhabi, where I will  meet up with Kim who is travelling directly there from Toronto.


Traffic Jam in Dhaka, Bangladesh (Indiamike)

We will be teaching at the Centre for the Rehabilitation of the Paralysed just outside of Dhaka in Bangladesh for a month. 

CRP

Then Kim's husband and daughter will be joining us and the four of us will travel to India for a week. Our plan it to go to Darjeeling in the Himalayas - for a cup of tea (haha).  Seriously though, we hope to travel on the Darjeeling-Himalayan Railway, which is a narrow-gauge steam train built in 1880 and is now a UNESCO world heritage site and do some hiking in the Himalayan foothills.  


Photo by Arne Huckelheim (Wikipedia)

Then for the last two nights we hope to stay at the Glenburn Tea Estate, a working tea estate and boutique hotel, just outside of Darjeeling.  When Malcolm saw the pictures of the Glenburn Tea Estate on a previous post (see here) he asked if we would be going there, because that is where the tea shop he goes to near the University of Waterloo purchases some of their tea.  I was flabbergasted that Malcolm would have heard of this tea estate that I will be going to half-way around the world - amazing!


Glenburn Tea Estate
It looks like it's going to be a busy summer - but an amazing one!

16 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! FRANCE?!! How fun! You are going to have a great summer! I think it's so wonderful that you're donating so much of your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so excting, what an amazing xummer you have planned! So glad that we can catch the updates here too.

    Vie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing summer you are about to have!!! WOW~~ I can't wait to read all about it. Will you have a chance to blog at internet cafes? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an amazing summer :)
    I hope we will hear from u :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - you're going to have one seriously action-packed summer! I'm sure you'll see and do lots of amazing things during your travels :-) And it's wonderful that you and your hubby will be celebrating your anniversary in France :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So exciting - two very diverse countries! Your volunteer work sounds so rewarding (And did you get married when you were 10 Grace??)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, how incredibly exciting. 30 years.... well done... you should be celebrating in the city of love! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a trip Grace, I'm looking forward to your dispatches! Have a wonderful time~

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful thing you're doing! Have a fab time in France too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - that's one fascinating trip you have planned! I loved France! Thanks for stopping by and your sweet comments on my photo wall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a dream of
    a trip; a fantastic,
    sweet, amazing trip.
    My parents visited
    India a year ago and
    are still raving about
    its beauty and its
    wonderful people.
    A trip you will never,
    ever forget!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, it's going to be be amazing.....think of all th amazing sights, flavours and smells....I am so envious. It will be a trip of a life time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Grace... the trip of a lifetime... amazing. So happy for you. Please update us while on your journey! Although I could understand why that would be difficult :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What an opportunity! You must be sooo anxious for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grace I am most envious of your planned trip, especially the narrow gauge train trip! Just fascinating and I hope you will share your pictures on your return. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't. wait. to hear all about this. You have no idea--this is me travelling the world. I wish you nothing but the best on your trip.

    ReplyDelete