Friday, October 17, 2014

Falling for Hamilton



Isn't it crazy when you discover something beautiful that you have never seen before and it is located only 35 minutes from where you live. In this case it was two beautiful waterfalls near the city of Hamilton, Ontario - called Tew's Falls and Webster's Falls. 

These falls are located close to each other in a conservation area so you can easily visit both in one day. Tew's Falls (seen in the photos above) is the highest falls in the Hamilton area and is just a little bit shorter than Niagara Falls. Webster's Falls (seen in the photo below) is considered the most scenic waterfall in the area of the city of Hamilton.


Something I never realized is that the city of Hamilton has more than 100 waterfalls and is called "The Waterfall Capital of the World".  How did I miss this?

Hamilton is built on the Niagara Escarpment - a ridge that runs from Tobermory up on Lake Huron to Niagara Falls in the south- and causes a dramatic elevation change. You can see the edge of the escarpment in the photos below. It is only makes sense that when an escarpment runs through a city it would allow for the formation of many waterfalls. Somehow I just never made that connection when it came to Hamilton even though I've lived nearby for years.





I love finding little treasures like this and you can bet I won't forget about this one.  I'll be back waterfalls! I hear you are beautiful in the winter too. Have you ever discovered a treasure near where you live that you had never visited before.

9 comments:

  1. The photos are glorious - and the information very interesting. We have ice caves about 40 miles from here - we've been past where they are but never stopped - but we did stop at a magnificent waterfall in the same area. I love discovering new areas nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in the Dundas area and we often went to Webster's Falls. I am moving in 2 weeks to Prince Edward Island and will certainly investigate many local treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely waterfall. Your views of the trees and waterfalls is lovely.. Gorgeous photos, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful waterfalls! I've explored many fabulous areas around where I have lived...my dad was always distracted on drives by interesting things, so I grew up know I just had to go explore everything possible. My next exploration will be some craters near where I live...fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in Hamilton and I had no idea there were that many waterfalls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treasure hunt! Amazing place and colours of the autumn... By the way your recipe of the Three sisters' soup has again been our autumn favourite;:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beauty so close by. We'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip and for sharing the beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, absolutely gorgeous! I'd love to be able to visit.

    ReplyDelete