Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Fall Mantel and Sideboard




I've misplaced my box of fall decorations. The only fall things I could find were the white porcelain pumpkin I put on the mantel and the glass pumpkin I put on our sideboard. How does one lose an entire box of decorations? Anyway, it has made decorating for autumn a little trickier this year. I went more for a wooden/earthenware/natural look - things like dried grasses, wooden plates, natural baskets, faux pumpkins, Indian corn and a few orange and brass things to warm up the look.

I'm still on the lookout for mini white pumpkins. Don't you think they would look perfect on both the mantel and the sideboard? So far no luck at either of my local grocery stores.



Do you remember the Japanese Lanterns I picked last week to go on the table (here) and the High Bush Cranberries I used here - well the leaves soon wilted on both so I snipped them all off and put the lanterns and cranberries together in a vase. I think they look even more autumnal without their leaves. Don't you think so? I've never left Japanese Lanterns on the stem before and I can't think why not. The lanterns do look pretty sitting in a bowl or strewn along the table, but I sure like them hanging on the stem too.


Have you got the fall feeling yet? It has been exceptionally warm here, which I love, but it somehow doesn't feel like fall yet. I predict the fall temperatures are coming next week.

6 comments:

  1. I am just pulling my house together now that the farmers' market is over and I am not cooking constantly. Looking forward to some fall decor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. It all has a certain sense of simplistic elegance that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a case of less is more, I would say. I think it looks great. I really like the glass pumpkin, and the lanterns and cranberries work really well together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your candles en masse on the mantel. They will cast a warm glow when lit with your painting and pumpkin....autumnal beauty's all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful, Gracie. You have such a wonderful sense of proportion, which is key decorating anything.

    I am still trying to gear myself up for a "real" fall cleaning. I'll be starting with my china cabinet today......soon.....maybe next week....we'll see.

    Cheers, M-T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your mantel looks like an English manor house! So pretty and elegant.

    ReplyDelete