Thursday, April 25, 2013

Peanut Soup

My brother sent me a recipe for African Peanut Soup about two weeks ago and I've already made it twice and am thinking about making it again.  It really is that good!

  

It is adapted from this recipe.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 can (28 ozs) crushed tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup uncooked rice
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 cup peanut butter

Method:
1. Heat oil in pan and cook onion and red peppers until softened.  Add the garlic for another minute of cooking.
2.  Stir in the tomatoes, vegetable broth, spices, rice, and sweet potato and cook for 30 minutes or until sweet potato is cooked through.  Mash with a potato masher, if desired.
3.  Add the peanut butter and stir until well blended.  Adjust seasoning and serve.

This soup has it all - vegetables, protein, creaminess, and a nice hit of spices (you can add more if you aren't a wimp like I am).  We had the soup with fresh bread which is great for wiping every last drop from your bowl.

Pin It

Linked to Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now,
Project Inspired Link Party at Dukes and Duchesses

6 comments:

  1. I have to admit that when I read the name of this soup I was kind of turned off but it looks good and the recipe looks good too. I am going to try this. I love a good soup recipe. You have actually gotten my to try some recipes I might not normally tackle. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good Grace! I have always wanted to try peanut soup and this looks like a good recipe. I know that my daughter would love to try it too! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!It was gorgeous in Edmonton today! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great, especially with the PB and sweet potatoes! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGoodness, that sounds so good!!! I am going to pin it and try it out. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so good ... what a neat combination of flavors! Thanks for linking up at Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this recipe!! I'm always looking for recipes that my husband can eat that are low in carbs and sugar!!

    ReplyDelete