My list of things I was looking forward to in January included things like enjoying a fresh snowfall, examining the beauty of snowflakes, crunching ice and snow, and seeing snow-covered evergreens. Well the good news is that I was able to enjoy all of these things - many times over! We have had a lovely snowy January, and I do mean lovely. When it is winter it is much nicer to have snow everywhere than just frozen dirt or worse still, slush. I also appreciate that for the most part the snow has fallen on weekends or in a big storm so school and work were cancelled - all of which means we didn't have to get up early and go out and shovel the driveway first thing in the morning and then drive on snow-covered roads to get to work.
Winter is beginning to wear a little thin, but there are still lots of things I'm looking forward to in February. I've interspersed my list with photos I took of the snow in January. Here's my February list:
1. My birthday. It's always a nice February diversion. I mean who doesn't like cake and a few prezzies.
2. Our 30th wedding anniversary which just happens to be on February 14th. We're planning on going out to dinner with the whole family and some friends and then coming back for dessert and champagne.
3. Trying the cupcakes we will be serving at our oldest son's wedding in May. This is the dessert we will have after we go out for dinner for our anniversary (see above).
4. Working on my food photography skills. I have in mind to try playing around with the cupcakes and taking some photos. I've been studying photos of food and there is a real art to the composition and lighting and I'd like to improve mine a bit.
5. Valentine's Day - which just happens to also be our wedding anniversary (see above). We are just that romantic (haha)!
6. Chocolate. This has to be one of my favourite things about Valentine's Day. I adore chocolate.
7. Enjoying the form of bare branches on deciduous trees. They really are lovely against the winter sky and look absolutely gorgeous when each branch is highlighted by a trace of snow.
8. Having a long weekend. Monday February 21st is Family Day here in Ontario so we are all off school and work and can hang out and ... be a family. Sounds like fun!
9. Going skating. I only got out once in January so I'm looking forward to going out a few more times in February.
10. Getting over the adenoid infection which has plagued me since the first week in January. Sigh!