Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Squash Soup

On the weekend I made some squash soup.  It was so delicious that we had it for dinner with toast and cheese two nights in a row.  Here's the recipe in case you are in need of a little soul-warming tastiness.


INGREDIENTS
2 small onions, diced
1 Tbsp oil
1 squash, peeled, seeds removed, and chopped
2 small (or 1 large) apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
2 carrots, diced
6 cups chicken broth or bouillon
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsps curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tsps creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup low-fat evaporated milk

METHOD
1.  Cook onions in oil for about 5 minutes.
2.  Add squash, apples, carrots, chicken broth, and seasonings.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft. 3.  Remove from heat and add peanut butter. 
4.  Puree until smooth (although I left mine lumpy)
5.  Add evaporated milk


I also took some photos of the soup to try out my new-found information about best backgrounds for food photos (see this post if you don't know what I'm talking about).  I used the raft of bed slats that I made as a backdrop before it got put on the mantel.  I can't say that the photos were a great success.  It's such hard work to make food look any good in photos (in my opinion, anyway) and I rarely get it right.  I'm going to keep trying though.


And Juno was my photography assistant for the photo shoot.


Or was she the security detail?


Or was she the wannabe tester?  Hard to tell.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. That does sound very satisfying. I will give it a try. I love making different soups at this time of year.
    I think Juno definitely wanted a taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love squash soup! It's one of my favs, even though no one else here really likes it. I usually make a batch and then put small containers of it in the freezer and eat it throughout the winter! This looks so good Grace! Happy Halloween! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love squash soup. I've had it with peanut butter, I've had it with carrots and I've had it with apples --- but never with all those ingredients together. This should be good! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete