Friday, November 21, 2014

Our Christmas Mantel



I've always liked Scandinavian decor and with Kate having just fallen in love with it too, I thought this would be a great year to decorate our mantel for Christmas in that style.

So what key elements of Scandinavian design did I use when decorating the mantel? Well, I used lots of candles and shiny objects,






and white was the main colour,



and plenty of natural elements like pine cones (and fake pine cones) and evergreen boughs (also fake),




There you have it. I really like the soft effect against the light green walls, but when the husband first saw it he asked me why there wasn't any colour on the mantel. Sigh. I think it is growing on him though as we both like the simplicity of the decor.


Have you got your tree up? or your mantel decorated? I'm having our annual Christmas Craft party here next weekend so I wanted to get some of the decorating done to set the mood for the party.  I'm still working on the sideboard and plan on putting the paper snowflakes that we made last year up on the walls. I've got some fun crafts planned for the party. I'm looking forward to it.

When I was finished decorating the mantel I had to look back at how I decorated it in previous years. You can see the past four years in the collage below (clockwise from the top left - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013).


8 comments:

  1. I love your Scandinavian theme! I try to add something a bit different each year to our decorations. This year I'm planning to make ice stars that will hold tea lights, and my plan is to put them out on our back deck in the evenings over the holidays when my family are all here. I just need for it to be cold enough to keep them frozen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. The bead garland is so charming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your mantels - simply wonderful. We have no decorations up - but just you wait until the day after Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I love the simplicity. It is is shimmery and wintery ... great longevity and not too overly Christmas. S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. I too love the Scandinavian feeling at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This year is definitely my favorite! I adore Scandanavian decor and you did an amazing job with your mantel. It us positively inspiring!

    Char@marshallhousematters.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live the Nordic look too and your wreath and mantle are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the color of your walls, and I think this is my favorite of all your mantels. :D

    ReplyDelete